Strudel’s Musings: what I love about Christmas
I was snuffling in the park yesterday when I found something that made me even more excited than usual – a discarded cup from a gingerbread spiced latte, ie. the first sign of Christmas! It was lying among some really slimy leaves (I can never resist a pile of leaves, I just love burying my nose in that rich woody smell and then snapping at all the interesting critters). It immediately made me think of all my favourite Christmas activities – so here’s my top 10!
- Long festive walks
- Visits to relatives and new places to explore
- Warm foot baths to wash my muddy paws
- Visitors to meet and sniff
- Special treats
- A tree in the living room (seriously, why only at Christmas? It’s brilliant!)
- Trying to bite snowflakes
- Cosy cuddles in front of the fire
- Coloured paper packages with interesting smells (I have no idea why Abigail gets annoyed when I open them up, but she should really take them off the floor if she wants them left alone)
- Everyone at home for ages!
But there’s a few things I don’t enjoy as much:
- Pine needles in the paws, so please sweep up regularly
- Loud noise – I love the chance to go off somewhere quiet from time to time
- Everyone giving me treats. It does my waistline no favours, so I’d rather stick to my usual food and portion size.
- Chocolate. You know how bad it makes me feel and we all want to avoid an emergency dash to the vet! Please hide it so I’m not even tempted.
- Dangly decorations (they’re so much fun that I can’t help trying to bite them, so please keep them out of my reach if you want them to remain whole)
For now though, I’m off to enjoy a well-earned rest among the chewed remnants of my Christmas jumper. Festive greetings to you all, on four legs or two!